On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 6:28 PM, Michael Casadevall via
dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> Pretty interesting read, and always happy to see more information go
> into CT. One thing I couldn't divine from your data was how did you look
> for non-HTTPS services? Did you port scan and do service discovery, or
> did you simply knock on well known ports that either are SSL by default
> or support a STARTTLS equivalent?
>
> If so, which well known ports were knocked on?

Thanks for taking a look. My understanding of Rapid7's methodology [1,
2] is that they knock on well-known ports. The services they emit data
for are pop3/s (110, 995), nntps (563), mqtt (8833), ftps (990),
smtp/s (25, 465, 587), and imap/s (143, 990).

I consumed their published data set and didn't perform any scanning myself.

> When you say roots included to Mozilla trust store, how was this used
> exactly? I see you used X509Validator, but did you just throw all the
> NSS PEMs or did you remove the ones that are technically constrained?

I used the certifi distribution [3], which is aware of "included but
distrusted" [4]. The certificates were "validated" naively without
considering e.g. path length or name constraints; certificates failing
those constraints would certainly be interesting but hopefully rare.

> I'd also be interested in see or graph that shows how many
> certificates chain up to a given root.

Sure; would you like to see that because it would help sanity-check
the data, or because it might reveal differences vs. certificates used
for HTTPS, or some other reason?

Thanks,
Tim

[1] https://github.com/rapid7/sonar/wiki/More-SSL-Certificates