> On 14 May 2018, at 20:55, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>  If there are proponents of a 'fail open' model,
> especially amongst CAs, then does it behove them to specify as quickly as
> possible a 'fail closed' model, so that we don't have to try and divine
> intent and second guess site operators as to whether they meant to restrict
> HTTPS or everything?

While this is in no way comprehensive or scientific, could we not just poll
those (larger) domain owners who also operate publicly available mail services
(like Yahoo) what they consider the scope of their CAA assertions? There can’t
be a super abundance of them, surely?

I’m no friend of ‘default-allow’ semantics, but I’m also not a fan of
ninja-changing semantics either. If domain owners intended to only express a
company policy on TLS certs (whether HTTPS, LDAP/STARTTLS, IMAP/STARTTLS or
whatever); then might they not be amenable to altering their expression to an
‘issue(wild)?-tls’ tag instead, but only if they were aware of the scope of
their (in-)actions?

That would then enable a future move for CAs to respect ‘issue’ and ‘issuewild’
to cover all cert types, while still allowing domain owners finer grained
expression of their policies. It’s pretty much an entire reversal of my earlier
suggestion(!), but perhaps a modification which would preserve the expressions
of (handwave, handwave) 95% of CAA records owners who don’t operate public mail
services, and yet still can cover those mail providers?

But without the courtesy of at least asking those few domain owners what they
meant, it just seems a bit rude to assume their intentions.

Regards,

Neil