Disingenuous seems like an unreasonable stretch.

By the logic expressed here, applying CAA enforcement to HTTPS was applying
CAA "after the fact" - after all, until CAs were required to enforce CAA,
how do we know that domains (... such as google.com or opera.com) meant to
restrict server certificate issuance? Couldn't they have been (in this poor
stretch of logic) trying to restrict issuance of S/MIME certificates
instead?

That's why the argument makes no sense.

As to rfc822 names not being mapped onto DNS, that's just definitionally
inaccurate. RFC822 names include a domain component. The addr-spec is
local-part "@" domain. With domain being the routable definition that we
all know and love. You can't just pretend that's not part of the scoping or
authority here.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <