> The party actually running the authoritative DNS servers is in control of the domain.

I'm not sure I agree. They can control the domain, but they are supposed to be subordinate of the domain owner. If they did something without the owner consent/approval, it really looks like a domain hijacking.

> I'm not suggesting that the CA did anything untoward in issuing this
> certificate.  I am not suggesting that at all.

My opinion is that if the CA was aware that the owner didn't ask/consent to that issuance, If it's not a misissuance according to the BRs, it should be.