On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Tom Delmas via dev-security-policy <

> > The party actually running the authoritative DNS servers is in control
> of the domain.
>
> I'm not sure I agree. They can control the domain, but they are supposed
> to be subordinate of the domain owner. If they did something without the
> owner consent/approval, it really looks like a domain hijacking.

But the agreement under which they're supposed to be subordinate to the
domain owner is a private matter between the domain owner and the party
managing the authoritative DNS.  Even if this were domain hijacking, a
certificate issued that relied upon a proper domain validation method is
still proper issuance, technically.  Once this comes to light, there may be
grounds for the proper owner to get the certificate revoked, but the
initial issuance was proper as long as the validation was properly
performed.

> > I'm not suggesting that the CA did anything untoward in issuing this
> > certificate.  I am not suggesting that at all.
>
> My opinion is that if the CA was aware that the owner didn't ask/consent
> to that issuance, If it's not a misissuance according to the BRs, it should
> be.

Others can weigh in, but I'm fairly certain that it is not misissuance
according to the BRs.  Furthermore, with respect to issuance via domain
validation, there's an intentional focus on demonstrated control rather
than ownership, as ownership is a concept which can't really be securely
validated in an automated fashion.  As such, I suspect it's unlikely that
the industry or browsers would accept such a change.