Thank you very much Devon for this analysis and the time past on our request.

You will find below additional information. Sorry for the delay, I was on
vacation. The publication of the updated CP / CPS will be immediate, as soon as
you confirm that the level of detail is sufficient for you.

Thank you in advance for your help and your reply.

CPS Section 1.4.2 states "Unless stated otherwise, in this document, “RA”
covers the Registration Authority and Delegate Registration Authorities."
CPS Section 3.2 calls out DRAs ability to perform initial identity validation
steps and uses the phrasing “RA (RA or DRA)” at the beginning of the section.
CPS Section 4.2.1 states that during the identification and request validation
process, that a DRA forwards the steps undertaken (including validation of
domain control), and the RA "ensures that the request corresponds to the
mandate of the DRA operator"
Due to the language in 1.4.2 stating that unless stated otherwise, “RA” refers
to both Registration Authorities and Delegated Registration Authorities, can
you direct me to where in the CP/CPS it calls out that DRAs, Certificate
Managers, and Certificate Agents (as defined in Section 1.4.5) are specifically
unable to perform the validation checks of 3.2.2.4 and 3.2.2.5? Additionally,
what does it mean for an RA to “ensure that the request corresponds to the
mandate of the DRA operator”?

-> In the CPS, the term RA is mainly used for the registration authority, which
rely on the DRA for some of its operations, such as collecting or issuing
information to the certificate manager. However, we have made the choice for
the moment that the majority of the verifications are currently carried out by
our internal RA, and not the DRAs however some controls such as face to face
can be ensure to the DRA.

Paragraph 4.2.1 was added in particular to address this case where the
face-to-face was in particular carried out by a DRA, however the other
controls, in particular that concerning the control of the domain is well
realized by the Certigna internal RA through technical means put in place by
our services and not those of our DRAs. We can, if you wish, specify in our CP
/ CPS that these checks are carried out by the RA and not the DRA.

For clarification, the control of the DRA operator mandate is to verify that
the person who sends a proof (eg attestation of face to face) is among the
authorized persons of the DRA and that the signature (handwritten or
electronic) of the document comes from this person.

CPS Section 4.2.1: If the request is valid and allows to obtain with accuracy
the authorization to issue the certificate by a legal representative of the
entity which is owner of the domain names, the CA authorizes itself to issue
the certificate even if the CA is not present in the list of authorized CA.
This appears to directly contravene BR Section 3.2.2.8, which specifies the
following 3 scenarios in which a CA can issue a certificate despite not
appearing in the CAA record:
• CAA checking is optional for certificates for which a Certificate
Transparency pre-certificate was created and logged in at least two public
logs, and for which CAA was checked. Forum Guideline Baseline Requirements, v.
1.6.0 21

• CAA checking is optional for certificates issued by a Technically Constrained
Subordinate CA Certificate as set out in Baseline Requirements section 7.1.5,
where the lack of CAA checking is an explicit contractual provision in the
contract with the Applicant.

• CAA checking is optional if the CA or an Affiliate of the CA is the DNS
Operator (as defined in RFC 7719) of the domain's DNS.

-> Indeed, we were operating up to now a control with an alert and a
notification to the applicant (pointing on this page
https://www.certigna.fr/dns-caa.xhtml) to add us in the field CAA if that It is
present, but it was not blocking for the request because we considered that
having a signed authorization of the legal representative was sufficient even
if the applicant not having updated the CAA registration.

Now, our control processes foresee that the certificate request is blocked
notably in the following cases:
- The CAA DNS field is present, it contains an "issue" or "issuewild" tag and
it does not list Certigna as an authorized CA.
- The CAA DNS field is present, designed as critical and the tag used is not
supported by the CA (so if it is not an "issue" or "issuewild").

We will be releasing the CP / CPS update to clarify these practices being
implemented now. If this is enough for you, we will immediately publish the
documents.

CPS Section 3.2.7 calls out special actions taken for “High Risk Certification
Requests”. It says the procedures for determining high risk as well as
additional vetting requirements are documented, however, I do not see this
documentation anywhere.
On what basis is a certification request deemed “high risk” and in what way,
specifically, does this impact a subscriber’s ability to obtain a certificate?

-> For each certificate request, we automatically perform a check via the
Google Safe Browsing API and we also think about using the base of the
organization "phishing initiative". If a URL goes back at risk by these
databases, the certificate request is automatically rejected and the applicant
is notified by email.

We can specify these practices in more detail in our CPS if you wish, but we
did not want to explain to much our procedures and the databases used because
we felt that disclosing too much in detail our security practices to the public
can help malicious people to adapt their request to try to circumvent our
control devices.

Root CA CP Section 4.3.2: The delivery of certificate is achieved during the
key ceremony, to a CA administrator authorized by CA and in charge of its
exploitation and diffusion.

Can you please explain what these sentences mean? This sub-section is cited as
the response to BR Section 4.3.1 CA Actions during Certificate Issuance in the
latest version of the BR self-assessment, but does not appear to speak to this
requirement.

-> Indeed, it is a problem of interpretation from us, we thought that it
covered the delivery of the certificate of the root authority and not the issue
of the end-entities certificates. The answer is available in the following
chapter:
"4.3.1. Actions of the CA concerning the delivery of the certificate
After validation by the RA, the CA initiates the certificate generation process
for the Certificate Manager.
4.3.2. Notification by the CA of the certificate to the certificate manager
Complete and accurate certificate is made available to the Certificate Manager
(on the customer area). The Certificate Manager authenticates to the customer
area to accept the certificate or complete a paper form. "
The document "BR assessment" has been updated to take into account all the
evolutions mentioned above as well as this one. Do you want additional
information on this point ?