On 09/10/2018 23:15, Wayne Thayer wrote:
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 12:48 PM Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy <

Oh, so rather than trying to define what "No Stipulation" means and when
it can be used, we could take a different approach -- list the sections
that cannot contain "No Stipulation" in the CPS.

This approach implies that we are adopting the RFC 3647 definition of "no
stipulation" meaning "we can do whatever we want", not the meaning of "we
don't do this" that I believe is intended in the examples your provided. If
we take this approach, we should specify those section that **must be
present** and cannot contain "no stipulation" (or similar permissive
language). Omitting a section defined in RFC 3647 is equivalent to "no
stipulation".

In formulating Mozilla Policy one should also consider the case that a
section is rendered inapplicable by the contents of another section.

For example if another CP/CPS section clearly states that the
certificates will not contain IP addresses as names (alternative or
otherwise), then it would be OK to not state how IP addresses are
validated.  (Such a section might for example state that certificates
only contain DNS names).

As second example, if another CP/CPS section enumerates the validation
methods used, then it would be OK to omit sections about methods not in
that enumeration.

As a third example, the parent section of the section listing BR methods
could state (in various ways) that only the methods explicitly listed
will be used.  This particular notation could avoid a CP/CPS change to
a "This method is not used" section when the corresponding section in
the BR is changed, added or removed.