This is a message addressed to the CA/Browser community related to the request
to transfer the ownership of the Roots currently held by WISeKey, to the OISTE
Foundation.

My name is Pedro Fuentes, Chief Security Officer at WISeKey. I’m sending you
this message as primary contact for WISeKey, as an organization registered
member at the Mozilla Root Certificate program.

WISeKey SA is a proud member of the CA community since more than 10 years, and
we consider it’s the right moment to make some changes in our Trust Model to
accommodate the new strategy of the company. As declared in our CPS, there’s a
tight historical relationship of WISeKey as CA with the “OISTE Foundation”
segregating the Trust Model with commercial CA activities (which I’ll introduce
in the next paragraphs), and we want to continue leveraging this relationship
in a way that we can empower our Trust Model, as per that new strategy I’ll
also explain later.

OISTE stands for “Organisation Internationale pour la Sécurité des Transactions
Electroniques (International Organization for the Security of Electronic
Transactions). The OISTE Foundation, created in Geneva in 1998, is a
not-for-profit organization regulated by article 80 et seq. of the Swiss Civil
Code. OISTE is recognized by the United Nations as a non-profit organization
with an ECOSOC status, which allows the Foundation to participate in
international programs promoting the democratization of access to new
technologies, especially in what respects to giving access to the digital
identity as a fundamental right.

In respect to the relationship with the WISeKey PKI, OISTE acts as “umbrella”
for our Trust Model, paying a role supervising and approving certificate
policies and practices, by means of a “Policy Approval Authority” which, for
example, monitors WISeKey adherence to its CPS. In other words, acts as
“independent regulator” of the Trust Model and WISeKey is the “operator” of
this Trust Model, running a number of Root Certification Authorities that are
recognized in your Program.

Last year the company embarked in a growth strategy that started by creating
“WISeKey International Holding Ltd” (WIHN), an entity that is listed in the
Swiss stock exchange and that owns a 100% of WISeKey SA, who remains as a
member of the Holding. Recently WIHN also acquired the “QuoVadis Holding”, a
group of companies that is also recognized in different Root Programs.

Until now, the public role of the OISTE Foundation wasn’t really promoted in
front of the CA Community, as WISeKey was assuming all the responsibilities,
but due the recent focus on Trust Models, Internet Governance and Net
Neutrality we’d like to change this situation and to give a bigger visibility
to the Foundation, and for this we’re sending you this communication, in order
to address this change in the best way, while ensuring full compliance with
your Root Program.

In short, the change that we’d like to do is the following:
* OISTE to be declared as the owner of the Root Certification authorities that
are currently registered by WISeKey
* WISeKey would remain formally as the owner and operator of the subordinate CAs
This change would imply to perform a series of coordinated actions that we
detail a draft plan included in the message as appendix.

It’s important to highlight the fact that no material change would happen with
the proposed new scenario: The physical infrastructures would remain the same
and the same team would keep the operations for the full hierarchy (as all the
operations, including Root hosting & operation, would be delegated to WISeKey).
For this we assume the need to have an independent assessment during the
process and we already engaged our WebTrust auditors.

WIHN plans are to incorporate in the Holding other companies that could own and
operate also Certification Authorities (for example, a WISeKey company
operating in a certain jurisdiction, and providing certification services in
that country). If these subordinate CAs wouldn’t be “Technically Constrained”,
it’s assumed the need for these companies to be independently audited and
appropriately incorporated in the Root Program. In all this cases, OISTE would
act as an independent guarantor of compliance with the Trust Model.

In respect to QuoVadis, we aren’t requesting to involve QuoVadis in any change,
as this WISeKey affiliate would continue to operate as an independent CA. If at
a given moment there's a change affecting the relationship of QuoVadis and
WISeKey, it would be initiated the appropriate process according to the Program
policies.

It’s important to highlight also that is not the plan to create a “Super CA”
that would have as role to sign CAs of other companies. The role of OISTE would
remain closely linked to the activities of WIHN, and the main benefit that we
want to obtain is to provide a layer of independence and protection to the
Certificate Subscribers, by protecting them against aggressive take-overs of
the Holding or parts of it.

In terms of Certification Policies and Practices, our vision is that OISTE
would define the CP for all the certificate profiles allowed in the Trust Model
and, separately, a CPS for the Roots, while the operators (WISeKey SA
initially) would define its own CPS that would adhere to some of the CP set by
OISTE.

In terms of WebTrust compliance, once we have acceptance to initiate the change
and before OISTE starts taking its desired role in the Root Programs, we
foresee the need to audit from one side the activities of OISTE as Root and
from another side to audit separately WISeKey (or other subordinate companies
running unconstrained CAs).

I hope this mail provided enough background on the change that we’d like to
address. For us is critical to have the “green light” and support of the
community in order to get this done.

Thanks for your patience reading this long message and best regards,
Pedro Fuentes

——————————————

APPENDIX: DETAILED TRANSFER PLAN (DRAFT)

Please note that we have as constraint the procedure to follow for the Mozilla
Root Program, which implies a public discussion of our intention and plan.
Therefore, only after the outcome of that discussion we'd do a final planing
for the fulfillment of the plan.

For your information, the plan below has been initially discussed with the
representatives of the Mozilla Root Program.We’d greatly appreciate any comment
you have on this plan, in terms of possible modifications to be introduced to
be compliant with your program, so we can include those considerations before
starting the public discussion.

#1. Chronogram of actions
We can’t provide a detailed calendar with dates, as we’d be still pending on
having an OK from different Root Program Managers and the CA Community to start
the process, but we’d like to express the expected sequence of tasks and
approximate schedule, expressed in weeks (W) after the start date (so W-5 means
the 5th week after the start date).
* Start of Project. The transfer process starts once we have an OK to go ahead
from the Root embedders and CA/Browser community.
* W3. Release for public review the new CP & CPS documents, according to the
following approach:
   - OISTE will define all CP documents in the Trust Model
   - OISTE will publish a CPS as Root CA
   - WISeKey will adhere to the OISTE CP and will publish a separate CPS to
disclose how the different CP are implemented
* W5. Adjust operational and policy documents to reflect the splitting between
Root and Intermediate/Issuing CAs. It must b understood that WISeKey assumes
the role of operator and there’s no material change in infrastructures or team
involved in the CA management.
* W9. Execute a Point-in-Time Audit to ensure that the transfer keeps
compliance with the WebTrust audit criteria.
* W24. Execute a 3-Month Period Audit to re-validate the WebTrust compliance
* End of project. Annual audit cycles start, synchronizing audit periods for
both OISTE and WISeKey.

#2. Audit strategy
Apart of the PiT and Period audits required during the transfer process and
stated above, the audit strategy for the trust model is as follows.
* We’d continue pursuing compliance with:
   - Webtrust for CA
   - Webtrust Baseline Requirements and Network Security
   - Webtrust for EV
* We foresee the need to audit from one side the activities of OISTE as Root
and from another side to audit separately WISeKey (or other subordinate
companies running unconstrained CAs). Given the fact that all the operations
would be assumed by WISeKey, we’d unify the auditor firm and synchronize audit
periods, but issuing separate audit reports. The audit schedule will ensure
that no gaps are produced.

#3. Aspects related to existing certificates
In terms of the CA certificates, the current Root CA Certificates include as
“O” field the value “WISeKey” and in one of the “OU” fields the value "OISTE
Foundation Endorsed”. We understand that it would be cleaner to have “OISTE” in
the Organization field, but this would imply a re-issuance of these
certificates that, even keeping the same key pair would have too much impact in
customers, therefore our plan is to leave the existing Root CA certificates as
they are.
In terms of end-user certificates, as stated above, we want to separate the CP
documents and those to be dictated by OISTE. We’d define in these CP documents
the adequate certificate profiles for personal, applications and IoT
certificates, which will be initially the same, or compatible, with the ones
currently specified in the WISeKey CPS.
In terms of OID management, and in particular for the EV OID already considered
in Root Programs, in our understanding OISTE will have the responsibility to
manage the OIDs, so it would take ownership of the current EV OID (together
will all the rest we currently use) and assign the required OID to WISeKey as
CA operator.

4. Technical details of the process
We don’t expect any relevant change derived of this transfer, as all operations
would keep using the existing physical infrastructures and team.