On 12/12/2018 01.47, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy wrote:
> Is this new from the past discussion?

I think what's new is someone actually tried this, and found 5 CAs that
are vulnerable and for which this attack works in practice.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/KvQc102ZTPw/iLQLKfbbAwAJ

Looking back, this attack is also documented in the paper linked in that
thread, but unfortunately it's not open access. I get the feeling this
may be why that discussion didn't really proceed further in that thread.
I certainly missed it.

The paper does list the vulnerable CAs, which are:

> • COMODO, InstantSSL, NetworkSolutions, SSL.com: these CAs
> use the same MX email server mcmail1.mcr.colo.comodo.net
> which uses the same caching DNS resolver. The results from our
> cache overwriting methods indicates that the DNS resolver software
> is New BIND 9.x with DNSSEC-validation.
> • Thawte, GeoTrust, RapidSSL: use the same MX server and
> resolution platform.
> • StartCom4
> , StartSSL: both use the same email server and the
> same DNS resolver.
> • SwissSign: uses New BIND 9.x

> I think we're at the stage where it's less about a call to abstract action,
> and actually requires specific steps being taken, by CAs, to explore and
> document solutions. Saying "push for DNSSEC" doesn't actually lead to
> objective threat analysis' and their mitigations.

My last paragraph was intended as two separate statements; DNSSEC solves
this problem but we can't magically flip a switch and make everyone do
that (heck, my own TLD's registrar still doesn't support it, and yes,
I've been pestering them about it). Given that, I think CAs should be
required to implement practical mitigations against this particular
attack, and I'm hoping that by pointing this out we can start a
discussion about what those mitigations should look like :-)

As you've noted, Let's Encrypt seems to be leading on this front. It
would be interesting to see if any other CAs can document their approach
to mitigating this issue, if any.

--
Hector Martin "marcan" (mar...@marcan.st)
Public Key: https://mrcn.st/pub