On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 09:50:21AM -0800, pedro.wisekey--- via
dev-security-policy wrote:
> For S/MIME capability itself, we are required to ensure that "the entity
> submitting the request controls the email account associated with the
> email address referenced in the certificate", so by merely making the
> process to require the user to access his email account to, for example,
> download the renewed certificate it seems to be enough, as any other
> method like a bounce-back message could probably get to the same result.

That seems rather backwards.  You're issuing the certificate and *then*
validating control of the e-mail address.  I doubt that issuing a TLS server
certificate and then performing domain control validation would be
considered acceptable, and I don't imagine there's enough of a difference in
S/MIME certificates to make it acceptable for those, either.

- Matt