On 18/12/2018 18:15, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 8:19 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/12/2018 18:09, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

>> tell
>> them
>> for
>>>>

>>> There's definitely been a lot of back and forth on this topic. It's
>> unclear
>>> if you're looking for a clearer statement about why they're forbidden or
>>> where they're forbidden.
>>>

>> It is clear that Rufus is looking for a link to the deprecation ballot,
>> rather than the old (failed) non-deprecation ballot.
>>

> Thanks for sharing your interpretation. I don't think that is an accurate
> summary, but it's useful to understand your perspective and how you
> interpret things.

Well he wanted that or another _single document_ that affected parties
can read, rather than trying to dig through the RFCs and mailing lists
themselves.

>>> If the question is where they are forbidden,
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.6
>>>
>>>      When the subjectAltName extension contains a domain name system
>> In
>> subjectAltName
>> 7.2.
>>>

>> The huge mess comes from the fact that this requirement of not
>> using the underscore character (which is actually used in some
>> RFC-specified DNS names labels, though for special purposes) was
>> buried in a complicated reference to two old RFCs, each of which
>> in turn describe that particular restriction in a complicated and
>> indirect way.
>>

> I find your summary interesting. I presume, then, that you feel that the
> need to use DNS is buried in complicated references to old RFCs, much as it
> would be how HTTP works or, for that matter, how ASN.1 works. It's
> certainly true that, as we build complex systems, we stand on the shoulder
> of giants, and as we build code and systems, we layer them. I think it's
> rather misguided and ignorant to suggest that, because a document is
> referenced by another document, it somehow becomes complicated, or that the
> age matters. Were that the case, we'd presume the Baseline Requirements
> would include everything from the IP specification to the ASN.1
> specification, and everything in between, and then lament at how anyone is
> supposed to understand or maintain the salient bits of this 10,000 page
> document.

The simple fact that the leading experts on the subject disagreed on
the issue shows that the outcome wasn't obvious (the opposite outcome
would not have been obvious either).

It's the classic question if corner case behavior of a piece of code is a
feature or a bug, except it was English-language documents, not C-language
code.

The wording and structure of RFC5280 (and its predecessor RFC2459) is such
that it appears to state an encoding of DNS names, not a restriction to
ARPANET host names.  For a subscriber or relying party developing and
deploying a system like the one described by pilgrim2223, everything after
the 2nd paragraph of 4.2.1.6 would look like ASN.1/DER encoding details to
be handled by the 3rd party TLS library, and such a subscriber would probably
believe it when both a Google search and their CA tells them it is A-OK.

Removing the "underscore mandatory" and "specific name X_Y mandatory" rules
from deployed systems without introducing security holes takes more than the
1 month they have given that the annual Thanksgiving-to-NewYears lockdown
has been mentioned in other global issues.  (In fact this is the first
subscriber/RP interfering BR effective date hitting the Xmas season since
the SHA-1 deprecation).

Enjoy

Jakob