My general sense is that we should be doing more to discourage the use of
SHA-1 rather than less. I've just filed an issue [1] to consider a ban on
SHA-1 S/MIME certificates in the future.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> As for myself and my company, we switched to a non-Symantec CA for these
> services before the general SHA-1 deprecation and thus the CA we use can
> continue to update relevant intermediary CAs using the exception to
> extend the lifetime of historic issuing CAs.  However it would probably
> be more secure (less danger to users) if CAs routinely issued
> sequentially named new issuing CAs for these purposes at regular
> intervals (perhaps annually), however this is against current Mozilla
> Policy if the root is still in the Mozilla program (as an anchor for
> SHA2 WebPKI or e-mail certs).

I do acknowledge the legacy issue that Jakob points out, but given that it
hasn't come up before, I question if it is a problem that we need to
address. I would be interested to hear from others who have a need to issue
new SHA-1 subordinate CA certificates for uses beyond the scope of the BRs.
We could consider a loosening of the section 5.1.1 requirements on
intermediates, but I am concerned about creating loopholes and about
contradicting the BRs (which explicitly ban SHA-1 OCSP signing certificates
in section 7.1.3).

- Wayne

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/178