Peter Bowen via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
writes:

>I have to admit that I'm a little confused by this whole discussion.  While
>I've been involved with PKI for a while, I've never been clear on the
>problem(s) that need to be solved that drove the browser UIs and creation of
>EV certificates.

Oh, that's easy:

  A few years ago certificates still cost several hundred dollars, but now
  that the shifting baseline of certificate prices and quality has moved to
  the point where you can get them for $9.95 (or even for nothing at all) the
  big commercial CAs have had to reinvent themselves by defining a new
  standard and convincing the market to go back to the prices paid in the good
  old days.

  This déjà-vu-all-over-again approach can be seen by examining Verisign’s
  certificate practice statement (CPS), the document that governs its
  certificate issuance.  The security requirements in the EV-certificate 2008
  CPS are (except for minor differences in the legalese used to express them)
  practically identical to the requirements for Class 3 certificates listed in
  Verisign’s version 1.0 CPS from 1996 [ ].  EV certificates simply roll back
  the clock to the approach that had already failed the first time it was
  tried in 1996, resetting the shifting baseline and charging 1996 prices as a
  side-effect.  There have even been proposals for a kind of sliding-window
  approach to certificate value in which, as the inevitable race to the bottom
  cheapens the effective value of established classes of certificates, they’re
  regarded as less and less effective by the software that uses them (for
  example browsers would no longer display a padlock for them), and the
  sliding window advances to the next generation of certificates until
  eventually the cycle repeats.

That was written about a decade ago.  As recent events have shown, it was
remarkably accurate.  The sliding window has just slid.

Peter.