On 20/08/2019 03:15, Corey Bonnell wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 10:26:06 AM UTC-4, Mathew Hodson wrote:
Tom Wassenberg on Twitter reported an experience he had with Sectigo
when reporting a compromised private key.

https://twitter.com/tomwas54/status/1162114413148725248
https://twitter.com/tomwas54/status/1162114465065840640
https://twitter.com/tomwas54/status/1162114495017299976

"So a few weeks ago, I came across a private key used for a TLS
certificate, posted online. These should never be public (hence the
"private"), and every trusted CA is obliged to revoke any certificate
they issued when they become aware its private key is compromised.

"So when I informed the issuing CA (@SectigoHQ) about this, they
promptly revoked the cert. Two weeks later however, I receive an angry
email from the company using the cert (cc'd to their lawyer), blaming
me for a disruption in the services they provide.

"The company explicitly mentioned @SectigoHQ "was so kind" to give
them my contact info! It was a complete surprise for me that
@SectigoHQ would do this without my consent. Especially seeing how the
info was used to badger me."

If these situations were common, it could create a chilling effect on
problem reporting that would hurt the WebPKI ecosystem. Are specific
procedures and handling of contact information in these situations
covered by the BRs or Mozilla policy?

Many CAs disclose the reporter's name and email address as part of their
response to item 1 of the incident report template [1]. So this information is
already publicly available if the Subscriber were so inclined to look for it.

Section 9.6.3 of the BRs list the provisions that must be included in the
Subscriber Agreement that every Applicant must agree to. Notably, one of them
is protection of the private key. The Subscriber in this case materially
violated the Subscriber Agreement by disclosing their private key, so I don't
think they have much footing to go badgering others for problems that they
brought on themselves.

Thanks,
Corey

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Responding_To_An_Incident#Incident_Report

The question was if this is appropriate behavior, when the incident is
not at the CA, but at a subscriber.  This is typically different from
the case of security researchers filing systemic CA issues for which
they typically want public recognition.

Specificially, the question is one of whistleblower protection for the
reporter (in the general sense of whistleblower protection, not that of
any single national or other whistleblower protection legal regime).

On the other hand there is the question of subscribers having a right
to face their accuser when there might be a question of trust of
subjectivity (example: Someone with trusted subscriber private key
access maliciously sending it to the CA to cause revocation for failure
to protect said key).

Situation would get much more complicated when the report is one of
claiming a subscriber violates a subjective rule, such as malicious cert
use or name ownership conflicts.

Enjoy

Jakob