On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:05:43 +0200
Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> The example given a few messages above was a different jurisdiction
> than those two easily duped company registries.

I see. Perhaps Vienna, Austria has a truly exemplary registry when it
comes to such things. Do you have evidence of that? I probably can't
read it even if you do.

But Firefox isn't a Viennese product, it's available all over the
world. If only some handful of exemplary registries contain trustworthy
information, you're going to either need to persuade the CAs to stop
issuing for all other jurisdictions, or accept that it isn't actually
helpful in general.

> You keep making the logic error of concluding from a few example to
> the general.

The IRA's threat to Margaret Thatcher applies:

We only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always.

Crooks don't need to care about whether their crime is "generally"
possible, they don't intend to commit a "general" crime, they're going
to commit a specific crime.

> A user can draw conclusions from their knowledge of the legal climate
> in a jurisdiction, such as how easy it is to register fraudulent
> untraceable business names there, and how quickly such fraudulent
> business registrations are shut down by the legal teams of high
> profile companies such as MasterCard Inc.

Do you mean knowledge here, or beliefs? Because it seems to me users
would rely on their beliefs, that may have no relationship whatsoever
to the facts.

> That opinion still is lacking in strong evidence of anything but spot
> failures under specific, detectable circumstances.

We only have to be lucky once.

> Except that any event allowing a crook to hijack http urls to a
> domain is generally sufficient for that crook to instantly get and
> use a corresponding DV certificate.

If the crook hijacks the actual servers, game is over anyway,
regardless of what type of certificate is used.

Domain owners can set CAA (now that it's actually enforced) to deny
crooks the opportunity from an IP hijack. More sophisticated owners can
use CAA and DNSSEC to deny crooks the opportunity to use this even
against a DNS hijack, so that crooks need to attack a registrar or
registry.

If the crook only does some sort of IP hijack they need to control the
IP from the perspective of the issuer as well as from the perspective
of their target in order to obtain and use a DV certificate with methods
like 3.2.2.4.6

This means small hijacks (e.g. of a single ISP or public access point)
are unlikely to be effective for obtaining a certificate.

You are correct that a large hijack (e.g. BGP hijack to move an
entire /24 for most of the Internet to some system you control) would
work on most domains, BUT this is relatively difficult for an attacker,
cannot be done silently and is already being addressed by numerous
initiatives by people over in that community rather than m.d.s.policy

> Yes, I think you have repeatedly used the failures of UK and US
> company registries as reason to dismiss all other governments.

I don't have examples from other countries either way. I assure you if
I could say "Oh, in New Zealand it works great" based on solid
information like a track record of actually prosecuting people who
make bogus registrations - I'd do that.

Nick.