I’m thinking more in terms of the potential rule in the Mozilla policy. If the
rule is “the CA MUST verify the domain component of the email address” then the
rule potentially prohibits the scenario where the CA verifies the entire email
address, not the domain component, by sending a random value to each email
address and requiring the email address holder to approve issuance. I actually
liked the previous requirement prohibiting delegation of email address
verification, although the rule lacked clarity on what email address
verification entailed. I figure that will be defined in the s/MIME working
group.

Describing the actors is a good way to look at it though. Besides those three
buckets of issuers, you have the RAs, the email holders, and the organization
controlling the domain portion of the email address. These entities may not be
the same as the CA. More often than not, the RA ends up being the organization
contracting with the CA for the s/MIME services. The RAs are the risky party
that I think should be restricted on what they can verify since that’s where
the lack of transparency starts to come in. With the prohibition against
delegation of email control eliminated, we’re again placing domain/email
control responsibilities on a party that has some incentive to misuse it (to
read email of a third party) without audit, technical, or policy controls that
limit their authority.  Because there are a lack of controls over the RAs, they
become a hidden layer in the process that can issue certificates without anyone
looking at how they are verifying the email address or domain name and whether
these processes are equivalent to the controls found int eh BR.  Similar to
TLS, the unaudited party should not be the one providing or verifying
acceptance of the tokens used to approve issuance.

In short, I’m agreeing with the “at least” verifying the domain control
portion. However, I know we verify a lot of email addresses directly with the
email owner that doesn’t have control over the domain name. So the rule should
be something that permits verification by the root CA of either the full email
address or the domain name but at least eliminates delegation to non-audited
third parties. For phrasing, “the CA MUST verify either the domain component of
the email address or the entire email address using a process that is
substantially similar to the process used to verify domain names as described
in the Baseline Requirements”, with the understanding that we will rip out the
language and replace it with the s/MIME requirements once those are complete at
the CAB Forum.

Jeremy