On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM Buschart, Rufus via dev-security-policy <

> > >     Sounds good. This was your proposed response to solving this issue
> > >     back on May 13, so it's full circle :)
> > >

> > > I'm going to consider this issue resolved unless there are further
> > > comments.
> >
> > Just checking whether the following is acceptable.
> >
> > If a CA validates the domain mycompany.example being owned/controlled by
> "mycompany", can this company delegate the issuance of
> > S/MIME certificates for subsection1.mycompany.example to an internal
> department or a subsidiary? Does the proposed language allow
> > this?
>
> I'm also not sure if I understand the wording correctly. Let's assume, an
> internal CA of company "mycompany" gets successfully validated for
> mycompany.example and receives a (possibly name constrained) certificate
> for its issuing CA from one of the root CAs. Can this internal CA issue
> certificates for every email address under @mycompany.example without
> further validation or is an internal validation process required? My
> opinion is, that such an internal validation process doesn't increase
> security, since mycompany controls the mailservers of mycompany and can
> anyhow validate everything.

Thanks Dimitris and Rufus. Would it satisfy your concern if the requirement
was changed to:

The CA SHALL NOT delegate validation of the Base Domain Name (as defined in
the Baseline Requirements) portion of an email address.

Alternately, would this create an unacceptable loophole in the requirement
and if so, can you suggest a more secure alternative?

By the way: How are CAA records to be treated in the scope of S/MIME? Since
> gmail.com has a CAA record that prevents every CA except of Google to
> issue certificates for gmail.com, does this also forbid every CA to issue
> certificates for rufus.busch...@gmail.com?

I'm not aware of any current policy that requires CAs to perform CAA checks
on S/MIME certificates.

With best regards,