On 07/10/2019 17:35, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/2019 16:52, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>>> I'm curious how folks feel about the following practice:
>>>
>>> Imagine a CA, "Foo", that creates a new Root Certificate ("Root 1"). They
>>> create this Root Certificate after the effective date of the Baseline
>>> Requirements, but prior to Root Programs consistently requiring
>> compliance
>>> with the Baseline Requirements (i.e. between 2012 and 2014). This Root
>>> Certificate does not comply with the BRs' rules on Subject: namely, it
>>> omits the Country field.
>>
>> Clarification needed: Does it omit Country from the DN of the root 1
>> itself, from the DN of intermediary CA certs and/or from the DN of End
>> Entity certs?
>>

> It's as I stated: The Subject of the Root Certificate omits the Country
> field.

You were unclear if Root 1 omitted the C element from it's own name
(a BR requirement for new roots), or from various aspects of the
issuance from root 1 (also BR requirements).

It is now clear that the potential BR violation is only in the DN of
Root 1 itself, and for the purpose of this hypothetical, we can assume
that all other aspects of Root 1 operation are BR compliant.

>>> Later, in 2019, Foo takes their existing Root Certificate ("Root 2"),
>>> included within Mozilla products, and cross-signs the Subject. This now
>>> creates a cross-signed certificate, "Root 1 signed-by Root 2", which has
>>> Subject field that does not comport with the Baseline Requirements.
>>
>> Nit: Signs the Subject => Signs Root 1
>>

> Perhaps it would be helpful if you were clearer about what you believe you
> were correcting.

An minor typo (nit) in your original post.  You wrote -"signs the
Subject" instead of -"signs Root 1".

> I thought I was very precise here, so it's useful to understand your
> confusion:
>
> Root 2, a root included in Mozilla products, cross-signs Root 1, a root
> which omits the Country field from the Subject.
>
> This creates a certificate, whose issuer is Root 2 (a Root included in
> Mozilla Products), and whose Subject is Root 1. The Subject of Root 1 does
> not meet the BRs requirements on Subjects for intermediate/root
> certificates: namely, the certificate issued by Root 2 omits the C, because
> Root 1 omits the C.

This is now clear after the clarification that C was only omitted in the
DN of Root 1 itself.

Enjoy

Jakob