I am also personally surprised and confused by this announcement.

I could imagine of course incident reports being handled with more
leniency when the details reveal that the health emergency contributed
to the issue. I thought that was the point of the no exceptions policy,
to push the CAs to handle the situation as well as possible, and force a
learning process out in the open.

With an opaque exception, the ecosystem is not learning anything about
the circumstances that put the CAs in this situation, and about the
challenges imposed by something that might be a long-term emergency,
giving no opportunity or incentive to improve and avoid similar issues
in the future.