(Posting in a personal capacity)

I think everyone so far has made valid points about why this is unexpected, and
a dangerous precedent to set going forward. That said I'd like to reiterate
that this feels like rewarding undesirable behavior. The CAs that will benefit
from an exemption, especially one that allows them to take advantage of it
silently, are those that have chosen to drag their heels until the last
possible moment.

This behavior should not be encouraged and Mozilla policy should not be
dictated by the minority of CAs that are holding it back via inaction.