Mele wrote:
> The microsoft.ipsos.com is on rackspace.com which is another Microsoft
> partner. Firefox should not bork at this Microsoft partner site. The certs
> are at the site and IE has no problem getting them.

Well...First, this kind of domain name is unfortunate and one can't
blame the user for not getting used to all kinds of
"microsoft.something.com" URLs... Second, Firefox barks at any web site,
which doesn't have the certificate installed correctly. This has nothing
to do with Microsoft partners per se...
> It is one of
> the weak spots in Fx and I'm tired of the problems.
It's currently not a weak spot of Firefox...but I asked Nelson for the
RFC which suggests that one /can/ fetch intermediate CA certificates the
way IE does. If there is such a standard which suggests it as an option,
than I think Mozilla should implement it....
> You just blamed the server at the Ipsos site.
Correct, the installation is not complete at that site!
> Maybe the blame is on a misconfigured server
Yes, it is! It is not configured and installed correctly! This *is* the
problem...

If you install a web page wrongfully on your web server and the page
doesn't render, who do you have to blame? The browser? Of course
not...so in this case, this is a problem of the server admin as well...
>  but finger pointing doesn't get the
> problem solved. You did not offer one constructive idea of how to fix this
> sort of problem that Fx has, but IE doesn't, other than complain to the
> webmaster or better just go "use IE".
I'd rather suggest *not* to visit that site and *not* participate in any
survey until the problem is fixed! Obviously this site doesn't really
give you a good feeling...judging from the URL, certificate installation
etc....I wouldn't provide any data...But perhaps this is what it's all
about? Maybe they don't want non-microsoft - non-IE users to
participate? ;-)

--
Regards

Signer:      Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.