> jack: We also had questions about replacing Azure with a thinner layer for
> disk/memory reasons. We talked to Bas about our options. He has some ideas
> already about what he wants to build as a new browser-focused graphics API
> from scratch. But that would be a multi-year, multi-person project for
> Gecko. Servo, on the other hand, only draws four things (boxes, lines,
> images, and text). So we could start building the API with support for just
> those four things, and add more as we go along. That would let us get rid
> of Azure and replace it with something more direct that just generates
> OpenGL calls.

I don't know what's on Bas' mind, but it's not obvious to me how to design
a significantly better graphics API for browsers than Moz2D/Azure, which is
actually the result of going through just that process. If there is
something left on the table, let's evolve Moz2D towards it incrementally. I
don't want to add a 4th big-bang graphics API in Gecko.

I wonder why Moz2D memory usage is a problem for Servo when we're shipping
Gecko (with Moz2D) on a 128MB phone.

I think you need to look at the big picture rather than just what Servo
renders now. No point in stripping down an API just to add it all back
later.

>    - brson: we are not just a research project - we need other things -
>    like flash!
>    - jack: Shumway?

Shumway or nothing, surely.

Rob