In https://github.com/servo/servo/issues/11361 we’ve discussed using rustup.rs to bootstrap Rust and Cargo.

With https://github.com/servo/servo/pull/19213 landing soon, I think the last blocker is resolved.

One proposal has been to use rustup when available, and fall back to our existing mechanism when not. However I think rustup is well-established enough these days and I’d like to go further: make it a requirement and remove our code that duplicates rustup’s functionality: downloading and extracting tarballs, juggling toolchain versions, etc.

mach would make sure to run cargo/rustc/etc. through rustup (https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rustup.rs/issues/1293), and set the $RUSTUP_TOOLCHAIN environment variable to select the appropriate toolchain version. Recent versions of rustup now download missing toolchains automatically.

We’d document instructions for installing rustup in our README, and again an error message when mach cannot find a `rustup` executable.

The `system-rust = true` configuration would remain available and run plain `cargo` or `rustc` like before.

Thoughts?

--
Simon Sapin