On 12/27/2017 03:28 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io>
> wrote:
>
>> What's the point of disabling it at compile time instead of at runtime?
>>
>> Supporting different build configurations is more painful than a runtime
>> check, requires more work, and breaks more easily / often.
>>

> For what it's worth, I found the Bluetooth dependencies quite hard to deal
> with when I tried to get Servo to compile on (somewhat older) CentOS VMs.
> Maybe building without Bluetooth doesn't necessarily have to be a supported
> configuration, but could still be supported best-effort by interested
> contributors?

That's fair, but the way to do that IMO is stubbing the
platform-specific bits. We used to have platforms where we didn't have a
bluetooth back-end, and we used to mock them, see [1].

Doing it that way is way less intrusive (and adding an optional feature
unconditionally opting into it is probably not much work).

That's very different than what was proposed in this thread I think,
which is compiling out all the DOM code in Servo related to
WebBluetooth, which seems much more intrusive to me.

 -- Emilio

[1]: https://github.com/servo/devices/pull/20