Well, you are in luck, Dave - your foresight has worked in
your favor.  You do have the Private Key; it is inside the
P12 file you created (I made the incorrect assumption that
the key was generated in the TCP chip and could not be
exported).

If you enrolled for the certificate using IE, then your
certificate was definitely in the Windows cert-store, and
the two methods I wrote a little while ago would have shown
them to you.

Now that you have the P12 file, you can import it back again
into ProtoectTools.  You can also export just the certificate
from your IE/Windows cert-store and import it into Thunderbird.
Once Thunderbird has your certificate, *and* it sees the TCP
module, it will see the certificate as one for which you have
the Private Key, thus allowing you to sign and/or receive
encrypted e-mails.  Good luck.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

Dave Pinn wrote:

But if you did delete it from ProtectTools, where did you find a
certificate to import it into Thunderbird?

I obtained the certificate from Verisign, using IE, from which I exported a .p12 file. I cunningly saved the .p12 file for just an emergency.