Nelson B wrote:
So, assuming that you're the first of many future HP TPM users, please help
us to understand exactly how you got that private key in the first place.

With pleasure:

On a desktop PC, I opened Mozilla Firefox, and navigated to http://www.verisign.com.au/gatekeeper/individual.shtml. I clicked Buy Now, and followed the instructions presented to me. At a point in that process, I was informed that public and private keys had been created for me. Further, I was informed that, when I eventually received my certificate - it takes about a week - I would have to download and install it using the same machine with which I had registered.

I then took an inordinate number of identity evidence documents to the post office, had an interview, and submitted a form.

A week later, I received an e-mail with instructions on how to download my certificate. Again using my desktop PC, I downloaded the certificate - well two actually: one for signing, and one for encrypting - and installed it in Firefox. I don't remember the exact sequence of key presses, but I know that it had to be done from the same browser that I had used for registration.

I also downloaded the root certificate for GateKeeper.

I opened Firefox's Certificate Manager, highlighted one of the certificates, clicked Backup, entered a new file name, and clicked Save. Firefox required me to enter a password that would protect the new file. Firefox then informed me, "Successfully backed up your security certificate(s) and private key(s)."

I did the same with the other certificate.

I copied the two files to my notebook: the one with the TPM. I opened the Embedded Security Certificate Viewer, and clicked Import. I selected one of the backup .p12 files, and entered the password that I had used to protect it. The certificate was successfully imported, and showed up in the Certificate Viewer. I did the same with the other certificate file. The icons next to the imported certificates indicated that the private keys had been successfully imported.