Nelson,

I'm in favor of creating requirements for root certs, especially since
you can check all the requirements when a root is presented for addition
to mozilla. Intermediates will be more problematic, and I would suggest
that you not create requirements for intermediates until you've had some
time to evaluate how well root cert requirements are working.

Please involve VeriSign and other CAs when coming up with these
requirements. There are legitimate business reasons why certain key
sizes and algorithms are chosen. For example, we use 2048-bit
intermediates as a practice, but we recently learned that a number of
cell phones in the Japanese market cannot deal with keys larger than
1024 bits. And it will be a few years before those phones will be
replaced with models that can.

Likewise with algorithms: We can't issue certs with signatures using
SHA-2 until SHA-2 is available much more widely. Doing so at this point
would result in certs that would fail with many clients.

-Rick