At 2:12 PM -0700 4/30/07, Robert Relyea wrote:
>I don't see a way around the legacy 1024 bit certs, but I would
>definately want to see wording that will discourage the issuance of
>new root certs that are less than 2048.

 From a cryptographic standpoint, such a policy would not make sense.
All root certs are treated equivalently by Mozilla for validating
domain names. Therefore, as long as there is even one root cert with
a 1024-bit key, Mallory would attack that one cert and, if
successful, issue bogus certificates with the compromised key.

If we make a rule about signature strength, it has to apply equally
to every root certificate in the set; otherwise, the rule will have
no effect on the security of the system.

--Paul Hoffman