Kyle Hamilton:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Frank Hecker
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  In the thawte case you cite, thawte changed its practices to start
>>  issuing DV certs from a CA hierarchy not previously used for that, but
>>  its practices were still within boundaries outlined in our policy (which
>>  does allow issuance of DV certs). So I don't really see a security issue
>>   here in terms of how this would affect typical users.
>>

> Great.  I certainly hope this is an April Fool's joke

At least I hope that you enjoyed the other one about some free CA roots ;-)

> What extension exists to mark a certificate as being DV?  What
> extension exists to mark a certificate as being intermediate
> validation?

None (yet).
> How can I, as a user, determine if a certificate is DV versus IV or OV
> or EV without having to fight the user interface to find the
> information?

In the FF3 UI you can differentiate between EV and all the rest. It
sucks, I know. But that's what the CAs and the browser vendors could
agree upon. There were obviously many different considerations involved...

> I've seen DV certs being used on sites that ask for commercial
> information.  The problems exist

Yes, absolutely. It exists and it's a problem. Telling to use and only
trust EV is not realistic. At StartCom we try to give some indications
by using different intermediate CA certificates arranged to different
Class levels (1-3) and by using special indicators in the O or OU field.

>  -- and you're hiding behind a
> (demonstrably broken and problem-laden) policy to ignore all the
> problems.

Mozilla isn't the (only) one to blame here, but first of all the
industry itself. Mozilla could however lead in the absence of better
definitions and implement its own standards which could be adopted by
the industry. I believe that it could work and I made a few proposals
during the EV discussions. I believe this is still possible and EV could
be a part of it.

> So, I want to opt out of relying on your policy, and I want to opt out
> of these strictures which serve only to maintain the dominance of a
> market sector which exists only for the purposes of extortion from
> people who want to try to do the Right Thing[tm].
I think all you need is to remove one shared library. Forgot which one...

Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:          +1.213.341.0390