Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Let's talk specifics.

Greatly appreciated.

> The Verisign "Class 3 Public Primary Certification
> Authority", which is widely used to create popular SSL certs on the
> Internet (see <https://www.amazon.com/>), has a 1024-bit RSA key and has
> an expiration date of Aug  1 23:59:59 2028. Yes, that's a bit over 20
> years from now.
>
> Unless Mozilla says "we are going to yank that particular Verisign
> certificate, and all the ones with similar key lengths, decades before
> they expire", there is absolutely no reason for us to, 20 years in
> advance, start requiring "new" CAs to use stronger keys. It is just not
> justified.

But probably new CAs have an even later expiration date.

> If we want to ramp up the mandatory key sizes, we need to also
> simultaneously promise to pull out all CAs that don't meet those sizes
> at a reasonable time. Otherwise, we are just pretending to be helping.

Yupp.

> Proposal:
> a) Starting January 1 2009, all new CA roots must be 2048 bit RSA or 256
> bit EC.
> b) Starting January 1 2014, all CA roots must be 2048 bit RSA or 256 bit
> EC.

I'm fine with that. Maybe one could extend a) that 1024-bit keyed CA
roots should not have an expiry date later than 2013-12-31. That would
make the issue clear to CAs.

> If we adopt such a proposal, but later start to waver on (b), we
> immediately admit that (a) is silly from a security perspective.

But it's not silly from a practical migration perspective. It does make
sense for CAs.

Ciao, Michael.