Frank Hecker:

This language and other language in section 3.1.8 seem pretty standard
to me; I've seen language like it in lots of CPSs. As I read it, RAs get
various identity-related documents from applicants and cross-check that
information against various databases, including checking the
association between domain name and organizational identity, to make
sure there are no inconsistencies (e.g., the domain name isn't
registered to someone else). The CPS requires RAs to take "commercially
reasonable efforts" in doing this.

Compare this to what our policy requires

    ... for a certificate to be used for SSL-enabled servers, the CA
    takes reasonable measures to verify that the entity submitting
    the certificate signing request has registered the domain(s)
    referenced in the certificate or has been authorized by the domain
    registrant to act on the registrant's behalf

The policy doesn't specify exactly how this verification is to be done,
only that the measures be "reasonable". In the US and Canada (where
Entrust is based) the term "commercially reasonable" as used in the
Entrust CPS means something like "what a reasonably prudent business
person would do in similar circumstances"; this level of effort is
consistent with our intent in the policy.

Well, there is no problem with "commercially reasonable efforts", rather I'd like to know a little bit more about their procedures and requirements by the RAs. A practical example will help illustrate what I'm missing...

I'm Frank Hecker and I own bid4books.net. Validating Frank shouldn't be such a problem perhaps, but do you really own bid4books.net? The third party source (WHOIS) shows:

Registrant:
   Domains by Proxy, Inc.
   DomainsByProxy.com
   15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
   Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
   United States

Now, lets go back to their CPS again (and I haven't found anything better than that):

Registration Authorities operating under the Entrust SSL Web Server Certification Authorities shall *determine whether* the organizational identity, address, and *domain* name provided with an Entrust SSL Web Server Certificate Application are *consistent* with *information* contained *in third-party databases* and/or governmental sources.

There is no stipulation about what happens in cases this can't be done (e.g. it doesn't say it refuses to issue the certificate nor does it say what else it does in such cases). In this respect the CPS is very weakly defined at best and I'd prefer to receive explicit information from them about what RAs are required to do.

Additionally I'm missing something more about how the subscriber is verified, consistency with third party sources isn't really enough, isn't it? Or can I be really also Frank Hecker if I know all your details?

Regards
Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:  +1.213.341.0390