Kyle,

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
So, essentially, what you're saying is that it was a targeted attack
against a user, instead of an attack targeted against a server?

Apparently, keeping track of keys in certificates placed individually
into NSS might be a good idea regardless.

The attacker absolutely didn't have to reuse the same key for this attack. He could have regenerated a new key on the fly for every site the user visited.

Remember that there are plenty of cases where it's perfectly valid to reuse the same keypair - cases like cross-certification.

Even if we detected duplicate public keys between certs in NSS, that is not necessarily something we want to fail on. We would have to know that the keys have been assigned to completely different entities, as in the example Nelson posted. Sometimes it may be unclear, for example if somebody changes CA, or changes domain and happens to reuse the same private key for 2 different certs.

This kind of attack is easily mitigated - the certs were self-signed. That's a dead giveaway that the user shouldn't accept them.