Presumably it was Comodo that underwent an audit to be added to
Mozilla's roots, and Comodo should not be allowed to delegate trust to
their resellers for domain validation. If, today, trust is delegated
to their resellers, then we can't trust Comodo, period.

Although disruptive, their trust bits should be suspended. The
explanation to users: "The CA purporting to provide assurance about
the site you are trying to visit cannot be trusted. Please contact the
site operator and advise them to find a trustworthy certification
authority."

Yes, perception is that Mozilla releases code expressly to "break"
access to legitimate sites, but this is because a trusted CA has gone
rogue. Users can still jump through hoops to expressly include the
site's certificate and keep going.

The trust model for browsers should be fail-safe, even if this
inconveniences users. Better that than me and countless others
inadvertently exposing my credentials to a site pretending to be my
bank, investment house, government revenue agency, etc.

If Mozilla doesn't pull the trust bits, what's it's accountability for
any breaches that occur due to keeping the bits? With assurance must
come liability, whether from the certification authority, or those who
are implicitly trusted with vetting them.