On 28/12/08 12:13, Kai Engert wrote:

If we'd like to be strict, we could remove CAs from our approved list if
they have shown to be non-conforming in the above way.

Yes, we could! But this is what we call a blunt weapon. It is also a dangerous weapon. Consider (all) the consequences in the current case.

First, losses we will incur, regardless:

1. Certs: All end-users who rely on these certs will lose. That probably numbers in the millions. All subscribers will lose, probably in the thousands. The CA will lose; potentially it will lose its revenue stream, or have it sliced in half (say), which is what we would call in business circles a plausible bankrupcy event.

2. Mozo: Mozilla will lose because of all the undelivered security (all those good certs and subscribers and end-users). It may be sued by the CA and the CA's investors and/or the receiver/liquidator for a bad decision.

3. Industry: All other CAs will lose because they will now have to include in their business plans the possibility of a root being dropped by a bad decision.

4. Security will go down, because less certs are delivered and in use. (It's hard to calculate the secondary losses here, but not impossible.)

Second, the losses we seek to stop:

1. Against that you can weigh the damages done so far and the harm to protect against. We know it is down to 11 or so certs, all revoked. Therefore, we know that the damage is stopped now, and there is only an unknown window of 11 certs from their issuance to last week.

In practice, this calculates as zero damages, because the likely scenario is that no harmful certs were issued [1].

2. There is the possible benefit to the other CAs as a punishment tool, in the case where the decision is good (see 3. above). There could be a knock-on effect in convincing CAs to tighten their game. However, this needs to be balanced against other costs and loss of certs, and in practice, the dominant factor is this: more certs is more security, less certs is less security.

Until we get new info, this is the estimate on the table. Therefore dropping the root will cause large losses, and will stop nothing, in the current case.

The wider policy problem here for Mozilla, for this forum, and for the whole PKI is that no matter which way you analyse, it, we've got nothing in the way of a punishment. Stick any numbers you like in the above example, and watch what happens. Removing the root is useless as a punishment. It only has downside, for all. It will likely never happen, and we should stop talking about it.

iang

[1] no harmful certs == unreliable certs issued to people to do bad things. E.g., we ignore false certs that are already controlled.