On 12/28/2008 9:42 AM Eddy Nigg cranked up the brainbox and said:
> On 12/28/2008 04:24 PM, Ian G:
>> No, I'm afraid there is an agreement to list the root, under a policy.
>> Once listed, Mozilla has to operate according to its side of the bargain.
> Apparently you are reading something I haven't.

Apparently, but that doesn't mean it's invalid. Mozilla can't act arbitrarily
and without cause and expect to retain any shred of respect or
trustworthiness. A policy not adhered to is worthless.

> That's for the specific certstar case. Domain validation isn't performed
> by Comodo on a wide scale apparently and perhaps no validation is
> performed at all.

Yes, perhaps, and perhaps they send out certs to anyone who asks nicely, but
we have little evidence to support these suppositions.

Rather than having a kneejerk reaction of removing Comodo from the root list,
why don't we examine the situation. This reseller was not acting according to
proper procedure. Comodo immediately revoked their reseller status, and
reviewed their certs. Further, they've said they're reviewing their policies
to ensure this doesn't happen again. Given their candor and quick response,
what more do you require that you feel you're not getting that justified
removing them as a root CA?

I really think you're going overboard. Form what I see, I'm not alone in that
assessment. You did a good job in bringing this to light. Having the issues
you uncovered addressed and fixed should be sufficient. Why do we need to take
punitive action that will do nothing but punish tens of thousands of other
Comodo customers and millions of users?

--
Grey Hodge
 email [ grey @ burntelectrons.org ]