At 8:39 AM -0800 12/30/08, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>The upshot of this is probably going to be that, in a short time, all
>the world's browsers (and PKI software in general) stop supporting MD5
>for use in digital signatures.

That is not what the paper advocates. It suggests stopping support for MD5 in
the signature algorithm for *trust anchors*, not in other messages. It should
probably have also made the same recommendation for the signature algorithm in
intermediate certificates as well (I take partial blame for it not saying
that...).

The attack outlined is a collision attack, not a preimage attack. Signed
messages that use MD5 in the signature algorithm, but where the content of the
message is determined by the signer, are not affected by the attack. Thus, if
we "stop supporting MD5 for use in digital signatures" we will needlessly
affect probably tens of thousands of legitimate web sites for which there is
absolutely no known attack.

Of course, the trust anchor store for Firefox should be revised as soon as
possible to include no trust anchors that use MD5 in their signature algorithm.
Similarly, the trust anchor store for Firefox should be revised as soon as
possible to include no trust anchors that use MD5 in their signature algorithm.
Although the attack described in the paper does not directly affect MD2, it is
very likely that the same math used by the researchers could be applied to MD2
as well.

--Paul Hoffman