At 1:16 PM -0800 12/30/08, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>Paul Hoffman wrote, On 2008-12-30 12:43:
>> At 8:39 AM -0800 12/30/08, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>>> The upshot of this is probably going to be that, in a short time, all
>>> the world's browsers (and PKI software in general) stop supporting MD5
>>> for use in digital signatures.
>
>I should have written: digital signatures on certificates.

Actually, you were quoting someone else.

>The patch that I wrote only affects signatures on digital certificates.

Good. I am quite concerned if we start affecting signatures in things like
Thunderbird.

>Agreed.  For that matter, we could permit MD5 signatures on certs whose
>serial numbers are known to be random rather than sequential.  But that's
>not easy to determine by examining the cert itself.

Correct. Let's not add a second layer of heuristics here.

> > Of course, the trust anchor store for Firefox should be revised as soon
>> as possible to include no trust anchors that use MD5 in their signature
>> algorithm.
>
>Well, of course, it's not the signature on the root CA cert itself that
>matters.  It's the signature algorithm used on the certs issued by the
>root.  And the issuer is always free to change that whenever they wish.
>(Maybe they would have to change their CP/CPS if they did that.)  No
>change to the trust anchor itself is required.

Arrgh, I totally forgot that. alg-on-TA != alg-on-certs. One day I'll have that
more firmly in my brain.

> > Similarly, the trust anchor store for Firefox should be revised as soon
>> as possible to include no trust anchors that use MD5 in their signature
>> algorithm.
>
>The last two sentences are both about MD5.  Did you mean MD2

Yes, sorry.