This is going to sound rather stupid of me, but I'm going to ask this anyway:

is there any possible potential DER-encoded message which will begin
with the string "-----BEGIN X509 CRL-----"?  If there isn't, might I
possibly suggest that requiring DER in this location and manner will
do absolutely nothing to heighten security, and will only make it that
much more difficult to figure out what a given bunch of data is
supposed to be?

Why is Firefox insisting on a specific encoding of the data, rather
than being flexible to alternate, unconfusable, common encodings?

Yes, it's base64-encoded DER.  OpenSSL can handle them (granted, with
the '-inform PEM' option) without issue.

-Kyle H