Postel's first rule of interoperability: be liberal in what you
accept, be conservative in what you send.

Which RFC requires which?  (I had read somewhere, for example, that
wildcard certificates must be handled by HTTP over TLS servers in a
particular way -- it turns out that it wasn't part of PKIX, as I had
thought, but rather an Informational RFC regarding "HTTP over TLS".)

-Kyle H