On Apr 7, 4:54 am, Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:

> > No, I'm talking about the "Extended Key Usage" extension defined in
> > RFC 5280 section 4.2.1.12.
>
> I repeat, you *are* talking about a proprietary Microsoft extension,
> which is to take into account the EKU inside path validation.
>
> The EKU as defined in section 4.2.1.12 of RFC 5280 only applies to the
> certificate that contains it, it has no effect on certification paths
> that include that certificate.

Ah, you are right.  Bummer!  We do need a way to limit the
intermediate certificate to SSL server usage, otherwise it will be
difficult to anticipate and close off all the possibilities for abuse
with other EKUs.  I will raise this with the PKIX working group.  The
Microsoft behavior makes complete sense to me, so maybe it could just
be adopted by the standard.

--
Matt