On 2010-04-07 01:54 PST, Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
>> No, I'm talking about the "Extended Key Usage" extension defined in
>> RFC 5280 section 4.2.1.12.
>
> I repeat, you *are* talking about a proprietary Microsoft extension,
> which is to take into account the EKU inside path validation.
>
> The EKU as defined in section 4.2.1.12 of RFC 5280 only applies to the
> certificate that contains it, it has no effect on certification paths
> that include that certificate.

Once RFC 3280 and 5280 were published, that did indeed become the
specification of EKU.  But long before that, both Netscape (where NSS
originated) and Microsoft did just what Matt is describing, and they still
do.  I can point to some email from former a Microsoft PM (product? project?
program? manager) saying that Microsoft adopted it because their competition
was already using it, and that Microsoft has no plans to stop
it.