On 07/08/2013 12:00 PM, Rick Andrews wrote:
I need to remove some 1024-bit roots from Firefox’s trust store, but I realize
that these trusted roots are part of the NSS library, and that the NSS library
is used by lots of other software, not just Firefox. Removing these roots may
have far-reaching consequences. I understand that there isn't a list of all the
different places where NSS is used, but can anyone provide some guidance? Even
a broad incomplete list of NSS users is better than nothing. Thanks!
What context are you talking about? If you remove the roots from firefox using the firefox UI, it won't remove the roots for other applications. The builtins root store is a compiled binary file. Whe you use the firefox UI to remove the root, it creates an entry in your local cert database that says the cert 'has been removed'. It's really still there, but marked as not explicity trusted, which overrided the trust in the builtin's database. Other applications using their own database will not see these changes.

bob