On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 07:48 -0700, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2016 7:15 AM, "David Woodhouse" <dw...@infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ryan?
> >
> > Unless you are able to provide an explanation of how this would "break
> > Chrome's use of the API", I shall continue to assume that your
> > statement was false, and design accordingly.
> >
> > I certainly can't see how it could have any basis in reality.

> Those sort of statements don't encourage productive discussion -
> "You're a liar and I will ignore you and break you if you don't do
> what I want, because I don't understand". This will be my last reply,
> given that. I would hope in the future you might be more helpful in
> tone and tenor.

I didn't call you a liar. I simply said that I can't see how the
statement you made could be anything but false. There are plenty of
reasons that could be the case — including my own ignorance — which
don't involve you telling a deliberate untruth.

While I thank you for your advice on tone, I had already tried asking
you to elaborate, and that had failed. This one elicited a response
fairly promptly :)

> Chrome has logic to preparse the nickname, which NSS does have an
> internal format for, because it can affect how we present and how we
> search. In some APIs, you need to prefix the nickname with the token
> name, while  simultaneously, for our UI needs, we need to filter out
> the token name before showing it to the user.

None of which is proposed to change.

> Introducing the URI code in the existing functions would be breaking
> NSS's implicit and explicit API contracts, and would cause us to
> display such URIs directly to the user.

No. As repeatedly stated, we were *only* talking about allowing
functions like PK11_FindCertsFromNickname() to accept a RFC7512
identifier (PKCS#11 URI) in *addition* to the existing NSS nickname
form. There is *no* way that such a change could possibly have the
effect you describe.

Separately, we would also want to add new functions to obtain the
RFC7512 identifier for a given object. But obviously those *couldn't*
overload the existing functions to get nicknames; that would be silly.

> <further hyperbole elided>

If I could give my own advice on how to communicate, to reciprocate the
favour — I am *actively* trying to find nuggets of anything helpful or
correct in your responses, rather than just ignoring you — but I'm
finding it hard.

Regardless of tone, please try to pay attention to the actual issues,
and make sure that you're not arguing against a straw man. In this
case, not for the first time, you seem to be arguing against something
that wasn't even being proposed. It would help if you would be
*specific* about any objections you have, rather than making it take
weeks to work out what your misconception is. Otherwise, it just comes
across as wilful obstructionism. Like when you spent ages telling me
that I didn't understand the Chrome security model, and eventually we
managed to work out that you'd ignored the bit in my *first* message
where I explicitly acknowledge that we'd want NSS_NoDB_Init() to do the
right thing, and you were wrong about that all along too.

Thanks.

--
dwmw2