On 5/22/2012 11:31 AM, Anant Narayanan wrote:
On 5/22/2012 3:01 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
On 18/05/12 22:37, Anant Narayanan wrote:
An app author is free to skip the field entirely (it is optional), or
specify "*" to allow installation from any store.

And * is the default?

Yes!

We should make sure the docs make it clear that this field is optional,
and meaningful only for paid apps.

We should document it, though I don't agree that it is meaningful only for paid apps. If the author of a free app wishes to list it only on specific stores, that's their decision to make.
Why? I think I disagree with this decision. What is different between listing an app on a store and linking to a website? Unless you have to pay for the app, they are fundamentally the same action. Presumably google search can be used for apps, no?

Although, we could sidestep this whole issue by just having a MIME type for apps and linking to them directly, so that the browser will offer to install the app when you just link to it, bypassing the JS API.

--BDS