Also, just to be clear for everyone else:

This means that we have *no roadmap* at all for Hadoop 3 support because Accumulo 2.0 is in a state of languish.

This is a severe enough problem to me that I would consider breaking API compatibility and fixing the API leak in 1.7/1.8. I'm curious what people other than Christopher think (assuming from his comments/JIRA work that he disagrees with me).