Ok, a bridge version seems to be a general path forward. Generally this would be...

* 1.8 gets relevant commons-config classes/methods deprecated
* 1.9 is 1.8 with those deprecation points removed
* 1.9 has commons-config shaded (maybe?)

IMO, it's critical that we remove the commons-config stuff from our public API (shame this somehow was let in to begin).

I think shading our use of commons-config would be a good idea and lessen our ClientConfiguration scope to being able to read from a file. Trying to support the breadth of what commons-configuration can do will just get us into more trouble.