Devs,

(This discussion is somewhat of a spinoff of our previous recent
conversation about HTrace, but I'd like to narrow the discussion to one
specific topic regarding our tracer service.)

I'd like to remove Accumulo's tracer service and corresponding
presentations in the monitor for 2.0.

The tracer service currently acts as a sink for the traces from Accumulo.

While there is interest in tracing Accumulo, and Accumulo may itself be
suitable (with the right schema) for storing traces, I do not think acting
as a "trace sink" is really the kind of thing we should be doing as part of
Accumulo's out-of-the-box core functionality.

Also, the presentation and search capabilities of the traces found in the
trace table (by convention, and assumed by the monitor) is far from an
ideal presentation of this data, and I don't think the Accumulo project
should continue maintaining that inside the core project's monitor, either.

I think we should encourage interested volunteers to contribute to other
trace presentation software (wherever they may exist) any necessary
"backing store" implementation based on Accumulo.

None of this would remove tracing instrumentation from Accumulo... it would
just require users interested in trace data from Accumulo to configure an
appropriate sink to collect that data in some other integrated component of
their overall architecture.

Decoupling the integrated trace sink from the instrumentation in Accumulo
like this could even be a step towards providing support for multiple
different tracing libraries. (I guess we could do this now, but it would be
easier if we were not also trying to provide a sink implementation for one
specific version of one specific instrumentation library.)

Thoughts?