I am +0 for this proposal and agree that putting it in a separate repo
would be preferable to dropping it. I tend to think that a better eventual
home for the Accumulo span receiver would be in HTrace itself -- that would
solve a lot of our version compatibility issues. That said, I wanted to
mention a few things we should keep in mind during this process.
- The Accumulo span receiver and the tracing display in the monitor have
been tweaked to handle the volume of traces produced by HDFS. Specifically,
the span receiver is configured by default to drop spans of length 0ms, and
the monitor page is able to display children of those spans in a useful
way. I don't know how other tracing backends and UIs would deal with this.
- For systems that produce a large amount / high rate of tracing data,
Accumulo may be the only viable storage for traces.
- One advantage of Accumulo's tracing system is that it is on by default.