Hi Christopher,

I do understand that some of the things Apache requires from its projects may
seem obsolete and outdated.
However, I can assure you that this is usually not the case. We have in the
past just done a bad job at relaying the reasons why some things are important.
That’s also something we are currently trying to improve.

So, the thing is … the “binding” is important. One of the main pillars of
Apache is the legal shield. This protects our contributors from prosecution.

This is done by contributors signing ICLAs which hand over the rights and
obligations of code they produce to the ASF. As the ASF is bound by Delaware
corporate law, technically the board has the right to decide things. It can
however decide to delegate things to others it seems fit. That’s why the board
creates PMCs and nominates PMC members (of course upon request). With this the
board delegates the duties for releasing software that’s in line with the
project mission to that PMC. That’s also the reason why projects are still
required to send the notice emails to the board when nominating a new PMC
member … we’ve introduced the shortcut of you folks adding people to the PMC
and sending the notice in parallel, but this email that many think are
unnecessary is required, because otherwise it’s no longer the Board who
delegates to the PMC.

Same with releases: Releases are an act of the foundation and that’s how the
legal shield works. Only votes by PMC members are acts of the foundation …
that’s also why there must be at least 3 binding votes … otherwise it would
just be an “act of Chris” (I’m also a Chris ;-) ). The committers and
contributors technically have absolutely no say (from a legal standpoint) on
what’s an act of the foundation and what’s not. Therefore the “binding” and
“non-binding” is important.

Now you say: Of course, do we do the checks and of course are we a small PMC
and of course do we know who’s binding and who’s not. However, keep in mind,
that people outside of the PMC don’t know this.
I didn’t start doing these very thorough checks every month because I wanted to
invest so much time. Initially I started reading the board reports, maybe
asking a question or two and then signing them off … however did I learn quite
quickly that these board reports don’t always reflect reality. So, what I
usually do each month for 1/3 of all projects the ASF has, is to go through
everything each project has been doing over the last 3 months and double check
the things that many projects have been doing wrong. I know that my job as a
director is executing oversight over the many projects that we have. For me
it’s not just skimming through the reports and clicking on the “approve”
button. I actually have a detailed look at what’s going on in the foundation
and unfortunately every month there are something around 10 projects that prove
that it was good to do so.

Releases being a very large portion of what projects have been doing wrong: Not
waiting the 72h for regular releases, releasing with only 1 or 2 votes at all
(cause “we don’t have enough PMCs active”), mixing binding and non-binding
votes (cause the RM decided to treat them equally). The list is quite long.

Releases are crucial to the ASF, and we really need to be sure that were doing
them right. That’s also why I’m checking them in so much detail.

So please forgive me, that I don’t blindly trust every project that they are
doing everything right. I think I would be doing a bad job if I was doing that.
That’s also why I started writing hopefully friendly “personal feedback” emails.

By simply adding a “binding” in the result email you at least tell me that you
have paid attention to the difference of binding and non-binding votes (believe
me … there are projects that don’t understand the difference) and in that case,
I usually don’t validate the correctness if I don’t have a reason to doubt it.
You are just making things easier for people doing unpleasant jobs like
investing 2-3 full working days (mostly on the weekend and after work) each
month with nothing else than having 2-3 coffee and reviewing the projects
activity.

Thanks, and sorry for the many words in this email ;-)

Chris