On 18 January 2016 at 18:46, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 January 2016 at 15:53, Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We seem to have a bit of a mess in our snapshots area with lots of old
>> snapshots for ancient releases like 5.3, 5.4, etc along with snapshots
>> for an ActiveMQ 6.0.0 release that has caused some confusion recently.
>>
>> Some examples of old snapshots or snapshot to things that were never
>> released.
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/activemq-aerogear-integration/
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/activemq-all/
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/activemq-book/
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/activemq-bootstrap/
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/activemq-core-client/
>>
>> We can request that infra wipe out the snapshots area and let the
>> jenkins runs repopulate with only the current builds for active project
>> work.  Alternatively we can go through every folder and audit them but
>> given they are snapshots it's simpler just to blow them all away.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Tim Bish
>> twitter: @tabish121
>> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/
>>

> Cleaning things up would definitely be good. Given the sizable amount
> of cruft I dont think it makes sense to try pruning them individually,
> and I'm not sure infra would be particularly happy at being asked that
> either hehe, so the full wipe seems like the way to go to me.
>
> Robbie

To add to that...

Old snapshots normally get cleaned up once a release occurs but this
isn't happening for the ActiveMQ 5.X bits, which is why all those old
bits are still there. The reason is likely that the snapshot versions
dont align with the end release version used, as the snapshots are
using 5.X-SNAPSHOT but the released bits then actually use 5.X.0, and
so the cleanup process isn't able to recognise that the snapshots have
become stale artifacts following a release.

We should probably also change to using 5.X.0-SNAPSHOT on master
(before asking infra to nuke the snapshot repo) to prevent more cruft
accumulating again with each future release.

Robbie